Another day at the office

Another day at the office

Monday, August 29, 2011

Coolest 8hr Race Against Cancer

So this Saturday I found myself racing my Singlespeed Niner at the Global Biorhythm Events Coolest 8 and 24hr Race Against Cancer up at Royal Gorge. I've competed in this event the last three years doing the 24hr Solo Race. This year I opted to just punish myself for 8hrs. The course was a mere 8 miles climbing only 1050' per lap.

Here's how it all went down....

I arrived up at Royal Gorge around noon on Friday the day before the event. I quickly donned my riding attire and hit the course for a pre-ride. It was surprisingly hot, a little disconcerting considering the next day’s temperature was to be the same. So not only was I going to have to deal with the altitude, but I was going to have contend with the temperature. Enough about that, so the course was deceptively hard. The course only covered 8 miles and climbed a mere 1050’. On paper, it appeared to be an easy course. Easy would NOT be a word that I would use to describe the course. It was rocky, loose, technical, and bumpy. My pre-ride pace got me around the loop in 46 minutes. It wasn’t race pace but more like tempo. I figured it was going to be at least 8 laps possibly 9. After the lap I cleaned up and helped Northey and company with venue logistics. That night tent city sucked but whatever.

Saturday pre-race rituals went as expected yet it seemed like forever until the race started. The temperature was climbing as was the race tension. It was going to be a battle. So I lined up near the front as I knew the moon dust was going to be horrible on the first lap. I wasn’t prepared to suck the dust for the entire day. The plan was to start out fast and see who followed. Most of the first lap I was rode by brail. It was insane. One of the sketchiest sections was a 20+% deep rutted section of trail covered in moon dust. No distinguishable line at all. I crashed there on my pre-ride AND on my first lap. Over the bars total yard sale. At least the landings were pillow soft. Anyway, back to the first lap, I stayed in the top 5 on the first lap and felt solid. Rolled through the start/finish and headed out on lap two.

So my trusty Niner Air 9 was geared 32:22 for the TS100 and I rolled the pre-ride with the same gearing. I should have changed to a 21 or 20 but I was too lazy. I figured the 46 minute pre-ride lap the day before indicated I would be alright. The flatish sections were annoyingly slow but I thoroughly appreciated the easy gearing for the climbs. The climbs were short but steep and did I mention loose?

My plan was to race “my” race for the first 4-5 laps and if I wasn’t in an immediate battle with another SSer I would get my splits after a few laps. Well, I never saw another SSer during the first 4 laps so I knew I was in front. I just didn’t know how much of a lead I had. Mikey from Auburn Bikes Works gave me a hand during my quick pit stops and when I rolled in on my fourth lap I asked him to get me my split to 2nd place and to give me the news when I rolled in after lap 5.

Right, so the laps ticked away but they came at a cost. The temperature and the course was slowing me down. The dust was horrible. So I was going back and forth with my good friend and eventual Pro/Exp winner (Steve Gallo) all day long. He was rolling geared and full suspension so needless to say, I was chasing him all day long. I was able to keep just close enough to eat his dust literally all day long.

So when I rolled in after my fifth lap, Mikey said I had like 40 minutes on the 2nd place SSer. That’s a comfortable lead but the race was far from over. This course was claiming racers left and right and anything could happen. I didn’t purposely slow my pace although I’m certain my pace was slowing. I tried to keep a steady tempo. I was getting to know the course a lot better it just wasn’t getting any easier.

During lap 6 I was starting to do some math. I figured if I had 40 minutes after 5 laps than I might just have to do 7 laps to secure the “W”. I rolled in and told Mikey that I wanted him to give me a “go or no-go” after my 7th lap. I figured I would roll through after 7 and call it. I knew I would have time to do an 8th, I just didn’t want to. I figured if I could win with 7, then great. So when I rolled through Mikey said, “go”. So one more lap for me.

The last two laps were quite consistent and with the temperature dropping it actually wasn’t too bad.

I rolled in at 7hrs 17 minutes and secured another win. I was happy with the race and my performance and most of all I was so elated that I wasn’t racing for another 16 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment