Another day at the office

Another day at the office

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"Taming the Beast": A little bed time story for y'all......

It was just one of those perfect days. The weather report called for clear skies and highs in the 80’s; epic Annadel conditions. We set out for our "get to know each other" or better yet "who's the alpha" on a foggy later summer's morning. The ride was to last over 5 hours so I loaded up the camel back and filled my pockets to the brim with the usual supplements to get me through the day.
Before we plunge into this "Who's the Boss" adventure, let me first bore you with some details. I'm the guy that fought tooth and nail before making the switch from the antiquated V-brakes to disc brakes. I'm the guy who frowned upon any and all who mounted full suspension rigs. I would raise my nose in disgust and go on and on about how "vertically compliant" and "responsive" my trusty steel hardtail SS bike was. You wouldn't even want to get me started on the whole 29er verses 26 debate.

So back in May, when I participated in a 24hour solo mtb race and during the wee hours of the wet and muddy night, I catastrophically carcassed my full carbon full suspension bike. Go figure. I finished the race on my faithful steel hardtail SS. To make a long story short, I ended up selling that bike. For a few short weeks, I was for the first time in 15 years, without a mountain bike

The guys down at Breakaway Bikes offered me a great deal on a Cannondale 29er SS. With much reluctance and hesitation, I pulled the trigger and bought it. When it arrived the uneasiness and finality of the deal was starting to stress me out. What did I just do? The bike was just so big. When I stepped over it, I felt like a child sitting on his dad's bike.

Back to the epic day. The moment of truth came; it was time to see if my svelte 145lb frame could submit this new black and grey stallion. We set out not talking to each other trying to see who was going to test who first. The silence between us was shattered as soon as the wheels hit the dirt. It was as if the bike was a reckless wild horse making every attempt to buck me off his back. Suddenly I found myself entertaining thoughts like, “could I sell this bike as "Brand New" even though I had ridden it no more than two miles?” I bet I could clean it up and make it at least "look" brand new.

We fought each other for the next couple of hours as we toured some of my favorite trails in the park. Due to the elevated riding position along with a more compact geometry, even the trails that I once dominated on my 26er, felt different. It was as if I was riding a borrowed bike on trails I’ve never been on. I told myself, “Don’t give up, and don’t let the bike win.” The undisciplined steed was not submitting and took every opportunity to toss me on to the jagged rocks that appeared sharper and angrier. I found myself talking to my bike and almost pleading with it to comply with my input.

The tides turned when the elevation gain ended and descent began. All of a sudden the stubborn mount started to picks its own lines. I began to think that this out of control thoroughbred displayed some hope of actually being tamed. As I descended, it was a surreal experience as the serrated razor like boulders started to level out and almost vanish right before my very eyes. The 29inch wheels gobbled up terrain, leveled, and spit it out like a John Deer Tractor.

What was happening before me was indescribable. Not only was the bike beginning to obey me but we were starting to get along and have fun together. Although I received no verbal feedback from my new friend, it was obvious that our relationship was vastly improving. When we reached the bottom, I knew that there was one more obstacle that we had to overcome. This willful downhill charger knew how to descend, that was obvious. He needed to learn how to climb like a mountain goat. I thought what better way to teach him a lesson than to hit one of the hardest climbs in the county. We departed Annadel and headed towards Pythian Rd.

As we ascended I knew what was coming but this rambunctious stallion had not a clue. The climb began in earnest and we started to fight each other again. However, over the course of the climbing that beast of a hill, the stars began to align. We started to work together and nearly made the entire climb without walking. Keep in mind some sections of dirt raise up towards 20%. The reward of the climb was much deserved and we synergistically tamed the descent. I had to look at my wheels to make sure that we had the rubber side down. On our way back to Annadel to spend some more time in our park, I knew that I had just become a convert. I had not a stress or worry about having sold my 26” wheeled bike. I actually started to think about what other 26” parts I could sell.

Webster defines the word “change” as a “transformation”. I have been transformed. I have seen the light and it is bright. Like the “Horse Whisperer” I tamed the unruly and angry stallion and have turned it into a fully compliant racing machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment